With Internet of things come Botnet of things. It is the freebies that Internet of Thing provides.
Everyone might have heard about Internet of things but not many would be aware of Botnet of things. Today all are excited about keeping their surroundings smart by connecting their devices to an internet hub. Internet of Things not just benefits to connect devices but also helps cyber-criminals to become bot masters.
What is Botnet ?
- Botnet is a network of infected devices.
- Each device in a botnet is a bot.
- A botmaster is the controller of these bots.He makes the device a bot by spreading malware such as Trojan horse.
Why Botnet Evolved?
- Easy way of malware distribution.
- Collapsing website – DDoS attack.
- Botnets can be used to evade spam filters to commit cybercrimes to steal crypto-currency, bitcoins.
- To commit Click fraud-The attacker instructs all the computers on his botnet to repeatedly visit the Web page and click on the ad to earn money illegally without the knowledge of real owner.
How to check if device is a Bot?
- Has your device slowed down?
- Are you not able to send mail even with proper connection?
- Does your web page redirect to some other page without your control?
- Then there are many chances for the device to have become a bot.
A threat to Internet of Things…?
- Nowadays all devices are smart when connected to internet
- Since automation is everywhere, security breach also spreads everywhere which is a major threat to IOT.
- Iot devices are not designed with security in mind and often have no way of being patched and hence there are more chances for these devices to become bots.
Since internet connected devices have become decentralised globally, it is complicated to avoid bot attack,with strategies but it is possible to prevent via antivirus and firewall.
Read More :-Petya-A ransomware